Rich, hearty, and delicious this Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is the ideal way to warm you from the inside out on the chilliest of fall and winter days. You can achieve scratch homemade flavor without spending hours in the kitchen with this simple recipe that the whole family will love. Serve with crackers, croutons, breadsticks, or even the traditional and always popular grilled cheese. Or if you’re like me keep it low carb and gluten free and try some cheese crisps, or flax crackers. Yum!
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 1-28 oz can tomato puree
- 1-8 oz. package cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup Basil leaves
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roughly chop celery and onion then place in food processor or chopper and puree fine.
- Place 2 Tbsp. of butter in a large pot over medium heat with pureed onion and celery- saute until they begin to become translucent.
- Add chicken broth, tomato puree, basil leaves, remaining butter, garlic, and pepper- cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in cream cheese until dissolved, simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- At this point you can leave it as is and it will have some texture from the onions and celery, or you can use an immersion hand blender in the pot to make it completely smooth
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese, or fresh chopped basil on top.
This is a fabulous recipe to make on cool fall evenings! It doesn’t take long to make, and I don’t know about your family, but in mine tomato soup is like the ultimate comfort food!
Looking for more soup recipes? Check out this Slow Cooker Beef and Quinoa Soup Recipe. It’s the perfect soup for cool fall days, or cold winter evenings!
Or give this Low Carb Chicken Noodle Soup a try! Yum!