One of the best things about cooking on the grill is there are no dirty dishes when you’re done. One of the recipes we regularly make on the grill is foil packs of potatoes and vegetables. My wife’s favorite variation of this is sweet potato foil packets with mushrooms and onions. They’re easy to make since my wife does the dicing, and all I have to do is grill.
You can slice and dice all the veggies ahead of time, and be ready to throw them on the grill when you get home from work.
On The Grill: Sweet Potato Mushroom and Onion Foil Pack Recipe
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3-4 button or mini bella mushrooms
- 1 sliced of onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- pinch of onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lay out a 12 inch square or a bit larger of foil.
- Dice the sweet potato, mushroom, and onion into the center of the foil.
- Add the butter or oil.
- Sprinkle with onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Wrap the foil around the diced vegetables, rolling the edges of the foil under so it will hold together.
- Wrap in the opposite direction with a second piece of foil.
- Grill over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Unwrap a corner, and check to make sure the sweet potatoes are tender. Be careful when you open the foil, because steam can build up.
- Remove from heat and let the foil packs cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Make sure you double wrap the vegetables in foil to make sure they don’t accidentally get opened during the grilling process.
Each foil pack makes one or 2 servings of vegetables. If you need more, just make more packs.
The foil holds in the steam and flavor, so when you open the packs you get delicious tender vegetables. You can also cook these packs on the campfire. We love to go camping, and this is a really easy make ahead recipe you can cook over an open fire, or the camp stove.