I’ve roasted potatoes, onions, and sweet potatoes, but I’ve never roasted beets. I’ve also never roasted them all together, until this week when I gave this roasted root vegetables recipe a try. I really love red beets, so I’m not sure why I’ve never tried roasting them before? I’ve pickled, boiled, dehydrated, canned, and fermented them, hah! But I haven’t roasted red beets.
I usually eat fairly healthy, but the days leading up to Christmas and the week between Christmas and New Years always turn into a bit of a free for all for me! I still try to eat healthy for the most part, BUT little bites and servings of foods I don’t normally eat still tend to sneak into my diet! Time to get back on track for the new year, and this roasted root vegetables recipe is just what the doctor ordered! This is a whole30, grain-free, gluten-free, and vegan recipe.
I was super excited with how this recipe came out. I added rosemary because I’m a rosemary fan, but you don’t have too. The roasting brings out the sweet in the root vegetables.
Roasted Root Vegetables Recipe
- 2 potatoes
- 3 red beets
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rough chop all of the root vegetables into about 1/4 inch slices.
- Chop the onion into 8 sections.
- Toss the chopped vegetables in a large bowl with the avocado oil, sea salt and rosemary (optional).
- Spread out on a cookie sheet, and bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes, tossing and turning once or twice while they're cooking, until the vegetables are tender through.
These roasted root vegetables are delicious warm out of the oven! The make a great side dish! I served them up with some rosemary baked chicken. Yum!
January is always a good month to detox from all the sweets and sugar from December with the Whole30 meal plan, or trying to cut the sugar with a low carb menu. Plus the Whole30 program is a great way to start the new year, so I created this recipe as part of my Whole30 menu and recipes. I’ve really been enjoying the journey with great recipes like this! I definitely haven’t been missing the processed foods!
Looking for more whole30 recipes? Check out one of my faves! Cilantro Citrus Chicken.